Another death, another life.
I’m always sad when we lose an animal, but some more so than others. This is one of those sadder times.
Jenny came to us more than four years ago along with her “younger man”, Buster, and her daughter, Frances. Since that time she’s delighted us with several more babies and has always been a calm, steady presence in our pasture. If you click on “donkeys” in the tag cloud of my 360 blog, you’ll find numerous entries and pictures of her and the babies she had.
We’re still unsure of the circumstances. It could have been lightning from one of the many spring storms we’ve had recently or it might have been dogs chasing her. Something, though, caused her to bolt through a barbed wire fence, severely cutting her neck and body. Trying to medicate her and treat her wounds has been a nightmare! She finally gave up the battle and died overnight.
I’ve learned to detach myself when it comes to the livestock so I won’t get upset when things like this happen. It’s part of life and life always goes on as evidenced by my husband’s announcement this morning, “Jenny died… and we have a new calf.”
We never knew how old Jenny was, only that she was already “up there” by the time we got her. Here’s a picture taken shortly after her arrival.
Jenny, we’ll miss you.
I’m always sad when we lose an animal, but some more so than others. This is one of those sadder times.
Jenny came to us more than four years ago along with her “younger man”, Buster, and her daughter, Frances. Since that time she’s delighted us with several more babies and has always been a calm, steady presence in our pasture. If you click on “donkeys” in the tag cloud of my 360 blog, you’ll find numerous entries and pictures of her and the babies she had.
We’re still unsure of the circumstances. It could have been lightning from one of the many spring storms we’ve had recently or it might have been dogs chasing her. Something, though, caused her to bolt through a barbed wire fence, severely cutting her neck and body. Trying to medicate her and treat her wounds has been a nightmare! She finally gave up the battle and died overnight.
I’ve learned to detach myself when it comes to the livestock so I won’t get upset when things like this happen. It’s part of life and life always goes on as evidenced by my husband’s announcement this morning, “Jenny died… and we have a new calf.”
We never knew how old Jenny was, only that she was already “up there” by the time we got her. Here’s a picture taken shortly after her arrival.
Jenny, we’ll miss you.

4 comments:
awwwwwwwwww, that sucks. She was so sweet and enjoyed human attention and interaction. Yes it is hard to detach but its the only way to handle this kind of thing. I have to do the same thing with the feral cats and kittens in our neighborhood. Of course I feed themand give them names but still....they are feral and wild.
Hang in there
Oh man! I knew Jenny. That's very sad. There are a few of your livestock that I became attached to and teared up when they died.
Jenny was there with Ma and Tom.
I'm so sorry about your Jenny. Hugs---
I don't know if I could detach, Kel. I had a hard time getting over it when my dad lost a calf or her mom at birth. Sigh. It's a good thing you have the farm, not me.
quid
Post a Comment