
The water lilies are trying to take over our pond for the second year in a row. My husband brought me a couple of the blooms yesterday morning and I have to admit they really are quite lovely.
Funny how the plants you don’t want seem to thrive and the ones you do want don’t always make it. ALL of our tomato plants are either dead or rapidly dying!! Lots of folks in our area are having the same problem, not that it’s really any consolation. I’m afraid we’ve just had too much rain. This has been the wettest May on record in Arkansas since 1882! That statistic was as of the 11th of the month, and we’ve gotten much more rain since then. We’re starting over with some new plants. A friend gave us some of his low-acid, yellow tomatoes. I’ve never had any so it will be interesting to see how they taste.
Not long ago I was driving home when I saw the most interesting birds. Like nothing I had ever seen before, I was anxious to get home and look them up in my bird book. They were unusual enough that I knew I’d have no trouble picking them out. Sure enough, there was only one bird in the book that even remotely resembled what I saw. “Scissor-tailed Flycatchers”! I don't think they're very common to my area, so I'm excited I saw them.
On a final note, the crows have been unusually vocal lately. I’m not referring to the big flocks that loudly caw as they fly over, but to the individuals that sit in the trees and “talk” to each other. It’s funny hearing their distinct voices as they converse. Okay. I'm easily entertained.
Funny how the plants you don’t want seem to thrive and the ones you do want don’t always make it. ALL of our tomato plants are either dead or rapidly dying!! Lots of folks in our area are having the same problem, not that it’s really any consolation. I’m afraid we’ve just had too much rain. This has been the wettest May on record in Arkansas since 1882! That statistic was as of the 11th of the month, and we’ve gotten much more rain since then. We’re starting over with some new plants. A friend gave us some of his low-acid, yellow tomatoes. I’ve never had any so it will be interesting to see how they taste.
Not long ago I was driving home when I saw the most interesting birds. Like nothing I had ever seen before, I was anxious to get home and look them up in my bird book. They were unusual enough that I knew I’d have no trouble picking them out. Sure enough, there was only one bird in the book that even remotely resembled what I saw. “Scissor-tailed Flycatchers”! I don't think they're very common to my area, so I'm excited I saw them.
On a final note, the crows have been unusually vocal lately. I’m not referring to the big flocks that loudly caw as they fly over, but to the individuals that sit in the trees and “talk” to each other. It’s funny hearing their distinct voices as they converse. Okay. I'm easily entertained.

2 comments:
I have to admit that Water Lily is magnificent---so perfectly symmetrical--a great photo. They tend to take over lakes in our area, too. I was thinking the same thing as you yesterday when I saw the weeds growing in my flower bed. If I wanted those weeds to grow, they wouldn't! Funny how nature works.
My tomatoes are doing okay (knock on wood) but I only have about about 8 in a little backyard garden in an area where I've never grown tomatoes before---so they can't get any diseases that affect the soil. The one in the pot is blooming again, too.
I put up a dozen jars of Strawberry jam yesterday. I'd forgotten how much WORK that is! But worth it. It's so good and tastes way better than store jam.
FYI, we watched the TrueBlood series DVD's this weekend and it was wild. I've never seen so many naked butts (men and women) and boobs and blood in my life on tv! The series has a lot of stuff that's not in the books, but follows the basic premise. It was okay, but I much prefer the books.
Love the photo of the water lily!
Speaking of birds.... (you know me and my birds).... Along with my doves and sparrows and jays and cardinals and the other assorted songbirds, I have frequent visits by grackles and crows. They squawk at each other and the other birds ( trying to clear them out, I suppose) or sit on top of my house and yak back and forth to each other.
Post a Comment