Sunday, May 31, 2009

Close to the Edge


It's not usually the major problems that do us in... we tend to deal with those. It's the little things that seem to build up and become overwhelming.


Not his exact words, but close enough to the comments my doctor made when I paid him a recent visit about some health concerns. Taken in perspective, my problems always seem minor. One can always think of another whose problems are far worse. Still, problems are problems.... and it IS the little ones that often cause me to snap at the wrong moment! There have been lots of those lately: fleas on the inside dogs, the water distiller catching on fire (thus out of commission), health concerns, and others so trivial I would be embarrassed to list them. Last night I decided to pull out one of my tried and true de-stressors. For 35 years I have taken great comfort from the album Close to the Edge by YES.


****************************


Close to the Edge was released by YES in 1972. It was my first exposure to YES and Prog Rock in general. I was instantly hooked! In fact, I would venture to say that YES is my all-time favorite group and Close to the Edge my favorite album. As a teenager, I had a stereo that would shut itself off when a record finished playing. Therefore, I would play side one of Close to the Edge every night to go to sleep by. I'm sure I played it hundreds of times, literally! Despite all its wear and tear, my original album is still in great shape. YES albums are famous for their cover artwork by Roger Dean. Close to the Edge is no exception. The album cover opens to reveal an ethereal scene depicting a narrow path leading to an imaginary lake.


As with many groups, the members have changed somewhat over the years. This album, produced by Eddy Offord, has my favorite YES line-up: Chris Squire (bass, vocals), Rick Wakeman (keyboards and synthesizers), Steve Howe (guitars and vocals), Bill Bruford (percussions) and Jon Anderson (vocals). Side one consists solely of "Close to the Edge", just under 19 minutes. Side two is made up of two songs, "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru".


These days I mostly listen to Contemporary Christian music. I also tune in Classic Rock. However, there are still times when nothing will do but a little dose of YES.


"Seasons will pass you by. I get up. I get down..."

4 comments:

quid said...

Excellent tribute post! Good thing to try and work on stressors. Meditation always works for me.

quid

Pam said...

I agree. Excellent. You always were a YES fan, Sis!

Debby said...

Did you see that 'Yes' is touring with 'Asia'. I want to see them soooooo badly.

Kelly said...

YES/Asia: That would be a great concert!!

Seems like I read somewhere that Rick Wakeman's son tours with them now.