Monday, March 23, 2009

Diaries and Journals


I’ve been keeping journals and diaries since I was in the 7th grade. Rarely have they been the daily entry type (though I’ve had a few of those) but rather the blank or lined-page journals that allow more freedom of expression. I have all my journals stored in our fire-proof gun safe. I doubt seriously my kids will ever want to go back and read them after I’m dead and gone, but at least they’ll have the option. Sometimes I wonder if I want them reading some of the personal stuff I’ve written, but hey… I don’t think it will matter to me at that point!

In addition to my regular journals I’ve also kept a number of prayer journals over the years. My sister gave me a beautiful daily prayer journal on my birthday which I began using in January. It’s been a challenge writing every day, but definitely worth the effort.

Blogging is fun, but it will never take the place of putting a pen (or pencil) to paper!

4 comments:

quid said...

I am so different than you (on this, anyway). With a computer at hand, I can probably write... for business or creatively... for the better part of 24 hours straight. Put me in a chair with pencil or pen and paper, and you get a few good doodles.

quid

Pam said...

I envy your ability, Sis, to journal most every day. I used to try, but never kept up the pace.

I'm just not consistent. I ruminate and write things in my head. Some of it gets down on paper or the computer. I also write letters in my head that...er..never get sent for good reason! LOL!

Lately, I've been too bogged down in reality to feel especially creative. The part of that reality that gets put into the written word is either via email, blog or...........those unsent letters. :)

I recognize that journal in the photo, sis! :)

Debby said...

Strangely, I cannot keep a journal either, Quid. I've often tried. A prayer journal is an awfully good way to see God working in a situation.

Bob said...

Oh Kelly, I so envy you for keeping those journals for so long. One of my favorite writers, Bob Greene, has two books that are nothing but journals he kept: "Be True to Your School," the one he kept in high school and "Good Morning Merry Sunshine" which chronicles the first year of his daughter's life. You never know, you might just have a book in there. Good for you.