A good friend and I always exchange our Christmas gifts on New Year’s Eve. Her gift to me this year was a copy of The Legacy Guide by Carol Franco and Kent Lineback. A brief glance through it looked quite interesting and I set it aside for closer examination at a later time. I didn’t realize that within 24 hours the addition of two new puppies would drastically reduce my free time and change my priorities.Several weeks ago I finally had time to sit down and give the book a closer inspection. It’s a guide for “capturing the facts, memories, and meaning of your life” and is set up in a manner that easily walks you through the steps for doing this. Think you can’t write well enough? Perhaps you don’t believe anyone would be interested in your life. Even if they were, could you remember enough to write about? All these concerns and more are addressed in the book. It’s totally up to you to decide how detailed you want to get or how much time you want to spend working on it. Maybe months, maybe years. There are no hard, fast rules. All you need is a ring binder with dividers, some loose-leaf paper and something to write with.
The book has inspired me. In fact, I’m so impressed with it that I’ve mailed copies to each of my siblings. I have no idea if they will follow through and use the guide, but I honestly believe if they’ll just read the first 30 pages, they will be inspired, also.
It may take me the rest of my life to complete the project, but when you really think about it… shouldn’t it?

5 comments:
Sounds fascinating and something quite valuable to leave to your children and grandchildren. I gave something similar to Mama years ago and she hasn't filled it in. (It seems I'm the only scribbler in the family!) I've just been taking notes from her in a special notebook I keep!
Oh Wow! How fun! Now I know what's coming in the mail! :)
Too bad we have few older relatives to ask about things we don't remember. :(
This looks fascinating. I've always wondered just how and where to start.
Have a nice day, Boonie
Boonie - It really is a valuable resource. I've recently discovered it at a fraction of the cost via Kindle.
Thanks. I'll look into it.
All the best, Boonie
Post a Comment