Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tabloid News

I don’t remember who told me about John Leax. (Marion, was it you?) I just know his name was one of two that appeared under “poetry” on the list I had compiled for my recent Barnes & Noble visit. It was a bit disappointing not to find anything from either poet in the meager B&N poetry section. Though I prefer to browse books in person (especially new authors), I resorted to picking out something at Amazon.

Tabloid News immediately caught my eye. It didn’t fit what I remembered being told about Leax’s work, but I couldn’t resist taking a chance on it. I’m so glad I did!

The idea for the book first came to Leax while standing in a grocery store checkout line. Looking at the tabloid headlines he wondered what the stories would be like if the headlines were actually true. So, over a period of several years he wrote these “true stories” based on the headlines he saw.

At first glance I thought the book would be nothing more than a joke. However, underneath the humor there is a depth and poignancy I didn’t expect to find. If I’ve aroused your curiosity in the least, go to Amazon and read about it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

3 comments:

Marion said...

Wow, Kelly, I really like his poems and his different take on things! I don't recall knowing about his poetry ... must've been Pammie or Quid who told you about him. I put him on my Wish List since I already blew my book budget this week! LOL!

Thank YOU for showing ME a new poet!!!! How cool is that?! I'm so HAPPY you're a poetry convert. I'm the "Johnny Appleseed" of poetry. Tee-Hee...

Pam said...

Wasn't me, but I love what I read on Amazon. That might have to be my next purchase...

quid said...

I met John Leax in upstate New York at a benefit for Houghton College, where he teaches. I don't remember us (you and I) talking about him, but we might have! I'd be happy to take credit. I'd enjoyed his poetry...especially the poems about nature. He also had one really good novel that he wrote (along with a lot of nonfiction prose). This "tabloid" topic is fascinating, and a change for him from the environmental and the spiritual to something more angled and contemporary.


And yes (sigH) B&N has almost NO poetry.

quid