
Seen any gallon nippers lately?
Wait, maybe you know them by another name. How about mosquito hawk, jimmy spinner or gollywhopper? All are names for the crane fly, an insect that resembles a gigantic mosquito. A few weeks ago we saw one in our church craft room that captured everyone’s attention. It had picked up a dust bunny from the floor with some silver glitter mixed in and as a result looked quite interesting cruising around the room.
Like most folks, when surfing the internet I’m easily led from one link to another. While looking up gallon nippers I happened on this page of AR-bonics. Despite living in Arkansas the majority of my life, many of the words listed were “foreign” to me. There were a few, though, that I’ve used a number of times.
Getting back to crane flies... according to Wikipedia it is a misconception that they prey on adult mosquitoes. That’s too bad since the only reason I ever refrained from killing them was the thought they were keeping blood-suckers at bay. In the future they better watch out for my swatter!!
Wait, maybe you know them by another name. How about mosquito hawk, jimmy spinner or gollywhopper? All are names for the crane fly, an insect that resembles a gigantic mosquito. A few weeks ago we saw one in our church craft room that captured everyone’s attention. It had picked up a dust bunny from the floor with some silver glitter mixed in and as a result looked quite interesting cruising around the room.
Like most folks, when surfing the internet I’m easily led from one link to another. While looking up gallon nippers I happened on this page of AR-bonics. Despite living in Arkansas the majority of my life, many of the words listed were “foreign” to me. There were a few, though, that I’ve used a number of times.
Getting back to crane flies... according to Wikipedia it is a misconception that they prey on adult mosquitoes. That’s too bad since the only reason I ever refrained from killing them was the thought they were keeping blood-suckers at bay. In the future they better watch out for my swatter!!

6 comments:
I'm very familiar with them. Sorry to hear they are useless after all.
That means they get the same swat the skeeters get!
Whatever they are, I HATE them!
In my opinion the only good crane fly is a dead crane fly.
We call them Texas Mosquitoes here, although they don't bite (unlike the Louisiana variety)!
Crane flies don't prey on mosquitoes. Huh. I always thought they did...
Another illusion shattered.
I don't care what anyone says. If it's a bug, it'll bite me. They always do. I'm a fatalist.
quid
Post a Comment