It’s a beautiful day! Temperature in the 70s, blue sky, everything blooming...perfect for being outside.
There has been quite a bit of activity on my birdfeeders lately. A few goldfinches are still hanging around, only now they are bright yellow with little black caps. Even when I don’t see any dove scrounging for dropped seeds, I can still hear them calling from the woods. My imagined boycott of the new feeders must be over, too, since the cardinals are once again plentiful. There’s been an odd looking fellow at one of my feeders – a brilliant red male, minus his tail feathers! He’s come to the feeder more than once, so I know he really exists. I was starting to doubt what I’d seen until he made a second appearance.
On a darker note, I had a rather disturbing experience while driving to Little Rock on Monday. I was traveling along a rural highway, admiring all the beautiful dogwood trees in the woods, when all of a sudden a huge hawk came diving across the highway. Wham!! It hit smack dab on the front grill of my car... and stayed there! I felt sure it died on impact, but I knew I needed to stop and see. Besides, I felt like every driver I met was gawking at the unusual "ornament" on the front of my car! At the next town I pulled into a parking lot and assessed the damage. I won’t go into detail, but let’s just say it took a considerable amount of effort to right the situation. It’s a good thing I’m not a particularly squeamish person! It just made me sad for the poor hawk.

3 comments:
Same weather here. Sorry about the Hawk. Luckily, it's not an endangered species. I'm just glad you didn't have a wreck!
It's not funny, but it is. On one level. Let's just say the visual and your retelling the incident to me was pretty funny.
At first I thought you said "hog" not "hawk" and that was a whole OTHER visual!
Back to the birds...other than the poor, recently, violently deceased Hawk....
My feeders have been like Grand Central Station! All the usual suspects, the usual visitors are back and noisily eating, visiting and mating and fighting and all the communal things they do.
I swear that it's like watching a sociological study of human behavior. LOL!
I'm thinkin' the hog would've been messier than the hawk, but what a horrible thing to happen.
Today my daughter and I saw a huge wood stork perched on a half submerged tree in one of the bayous around Clearwater. I swear the thing was about 4 feet high sitting there, but when I looked them up, they only go as high as 45 inches.
IT WAS HUGE! And intriguing.
Not much bird life around my house. The new neighbors in the next townhouse (nice, we like them) put out a bird feeder between my patio and their's, so maybe I'll get some bird action!
Lynne
Post a Comment