My local newspaper recently ran an advertisement sponsored by the Arkansas Children’s Hospital warning about the dangers of ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles).
I hate ATVs, better known in these parts as “4-wheelers”. Don’t get me wrong… used correctly they are wonderful tools. We have owned several over the past twenty or more years and they are ideal for hunting purposes and various chores around the pasture. In fact, I guess to say I hate them is really not correct. What I hate is seeing them used improperly. Unfortunately, living in a rural area this happens far too often.
I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been caught behind a kid zooming down the road on an ATV. Here’s the scenario: I’m driving down a narrow county road when I come up behind a 4-wheeler with two preteens riding down the middle. The ATV is too large for them, so they look awkward riding it. Add to that neither is wearing a helmet, appropriate clothing on their legs or feet and they’re clipping along at least 45 mph or better (speed limit is 35). One or both repeatedly whip their head around to see how close I am before finally finding a spot they can veer (and I mean veer!) off the road to let me pass. Now, what’s wrong with that? Well, there are legal age restrictions on operating ATVs, they aren’t designed for passengers, and they aren’t supposed to be ridden on public roads. That’s just naming a few things. If you want to know more about ATV safety, ACH has a good set of guidelines here.

5 comments:
I'm with you on this, Kelly. Small children ride them too fast on the roads in our neighborhood and without helmets or any safety gear.
They have their place (like in the country/woods, my son-in-law uses his on their farm), but not for kids running wild on streets!!
I hate ATV's.
scariest things to me. Specially when it' iced or snowed and kids are out riding them around...
I know of a couple whose son (8 or 9 y/o) wanted a ATV. Mom said no way but Dad insisted. He bought one against the wishes of his wife, gave it to his son. Shortly after receiving it, the boy had an accident with it and unfortunately died. The couple is now divorced.
Jimmy ( my son ) still has a bum shoulder that is always going on on him after a really nasty spill when he was a young teen.
These vehicles have no place on the roads. The thing that drives me nuts is that when they are being driven on the road around here, they are being driven at top speed. The driver is in a rush to get to where he's going without a ticket.
Post a Comment