
I honestly believe there must be a special place in hell for people who dump puppies on the side of the road!
The day after Christmas we received a phone call from the fellow who is our partner in the livestock business. He told us someone had dumped twelve puppies right across the road from our driveway. For the next day or two I could see little heads pop up every time I turned out of the drive. My heart ached for them, but I really didn’t know what I could do. Our partner had left food for them a few times, but didn’t know where to take them, either. Our local animal shelter was overflowing and not accepting any new additions. The city pound was the only place that said they might have room.
On our way home from a NYE party we saw that one of the puppies had been killed by a car. Sadly, we’d also had to stop on our way out that evening and tell our neighbors that one of their dogs had been hit and killed. It wasn’t a good evening for dogs in our neighborhood! Yesterday morning my husband couldn’t stand it any longer and decided he had to bury the one who had been hit. That opened the floodgate. All the other puppies descended on him and his heart melted. He came back to the house and announced that we had to do something about the puppies before more of them got killed. They were getting braver and venturing out into the road.
We gathered up all the puppies we could find (never could locate one) and ended up bringing ten back to our house. My husband put the gate back on our dog run and we penned them there until we decide what to do. Unfortunately, the holidays were a busy time for stray animals and now even the pound isn’t accepting any more dogs. What to do with 10 active puppies?!
Those of you who know me well know I’m a sucker for a puppy. Make that two puppies. Yes, we’ve decided to keep two of them! In fact, they get to live inside with Esther and Betty. Meanwhile…Bella and Hope want to know when the eight little visitors are going to leave so they can have their doghouse back!
Anyone want a free puppy??
The day after Christmas we received a phone call from the fellow who is our partner in the livestock business. He told us someone had dumped twelve puppies right across the road from our driveway. For the next day or two I could see little heads pop up every time I turned out of the drive. My heart ached for them, but I really didn’t know what I could do. Our partner had left food for them a few times, but didn’t know where to take them, either. Our local animal shelter was overflowing and not accepting any new additions. The city pound was the only place that said they might have room.
On our way home from a NYE party we saw that one of the puppies had been killed by a car. Sadly, we’d also had to stop on our way out that evening and tell our neighbors that one of their dogs had been hit and killed. It wasn’t a good evening for dogs in our neighborhood! Yesterday morning my husband couldn’t stand it any longer and decided he had to bury the one who had been hit. That opened the floodgate. All the other puppies descended on him and his heart melted. He came back to the house and announced that we had to do something about the puppies before more of them got killed. They were getting braver and venturing out into the road.
We gathered up all the puppies we could find (never could locate one) and ended up bringing ten back to our house. My husband put the gate back on our dog run and we penned them there until we decide what to do. Unfortunately, the holidays were a busy time for stray animals and now even the pound isn’t accepting any more dogs. What to do with 10 active puppies?!
Those of you who know me well know I’m a sucker for a puppy. Make that two puppies. Yes, we’ve decided to keep two of them! In fact, they get to live inside with Esther and Betty. Meanwhile…Bella and Hope want to know when the eight little visitors are going to leave so they can have their doghouse back!
Anyone want a free puppy??

8 comments:
Ohhhh, Kelly! Thanks for taking them in, even those who are with you temporarily. I can't imagine what might have happened to them. And there's a special hell for the people who dumped them there.
quid
Alice and Mabel are fortunate to have you take them into your furfold. :)
They are too cute for words!
My heart aches for the other poor pups. :(
Would that I lived closer and didn't already have 4 furkids.
I hope they find a home.
A special circle in Hell awaits the dumpers..... for sure!
Oh Kelly this makes my heart hurt! I would have done the same thing -- taken them in -- even though it would send Ralph into shock if I were to do so! This is another reason why SPAYING AND NEUTERING should be mandatory! What scum!
So this brings your total (permanent) number of dogs to . . . four?!
Do you ship to France? JK! I'd love one!
I wish I could send you one, Shelby! (or two or three....)
That's four in the house, Bob. We have more permanent residents outside.
AWWWWW! Who would do such a thing!
My dad just told me about this tonight and i was in total shock someone would just dump puppies out!
I wish I could take one!
Oh my gosh! How can people do this to helpless animals. They deserve to be "dumped" into that "special place in hell."
My little terrier mix was dumped and that's how we ended up with her. Someone really cared for her at some time because before getting rid of her she was house trained and spayed.
If I had a fenced yard I would consider taking one or two of the pups.
Good luck on finding homes for them and God bless you and your husband for rescuing them!
Fingers crossed there was a happy ending for all ten.
:-)
BB
Post a Comment