Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas 2008

Our family gets together on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day. This tradition began one year when our children were small and Christmas fell on a Sunday. We knew it would be hard to get them up, do “Santa”, open gifts and still get to church on time. So… we opened gifts the night before and it was such a success, we decided to continue doing it that way every year. With the kids older now and some having to spread their time between more than one place, it works out quite well.

Another tradition we began several years ago is our annual game of “Holiday Bingo”. I like to be the “caller” and pick out the prizes, simple stuff like candy, fishing lures and fun lip balms. Last round is a cover-the-board game for the grand prize, a Wal-Mart gift card. After bingo we open gifts then spend the rest of the evening playing games, visiting, watching TV or whatever. This year Older Daughter, her new husband, Younger Daughter and I had some serious competition going with the Pictionary game!

Rather than trying to have a sit-down meal, we found it’s much easier to provide an array of snack items. Chip & dip, cheese & crackers, mini sandwiches (turkey, ham, beef, goose), boiled shrimp and lots of desserts. More than enough for everyone!

Things were quiet here on Christmas Day. My husband came in from checking the livestock and announced we had a new arrival, so I visited the pasture that afternoon with camera in hand in hopes for a glimpse of the “Christmas calf”. No luck, she had it hidden somewhere. I did get a few pictures of the donkeys, though. Here’s one of the baby Jenny had in October. He has on his fuzzy winter coat! I also couldn’t resist taking a picture of this cow (or maybe it’s Bully??) curled up in a ball. Cute!



4 comments:

Pam said...

awwwwww love the photos!!

Sounds like you had a fun Christmas celebration, too!!

Bryan is here and everyone is wiied out for the night! LOL! I'm about to crash.

Hal Johnson said...

I can't let Rhonda see that pic of the donkey, because then she'd want one, and I'd have to worry about whether it would get along with the llamas.

quid said...

Sounds like a great Christmas eve. I have first dibs on the baby donkey, ahead of Rhonda, but do have to stake my claim in the hopes that donkeys don't have fleas. Sigh. If they do, I'm passing dibs over to Rhonda.

quid

Algernon said...

Christmas Eve, family, livestock. Sounds perfect.